On Air Now Tony James 8:00am - Noon Email

Major disruption as bus drivers strike from today

The Island's bus drivers have walked out in a strike over wages, holiday time and sick pay.

Bus Vannin says it will be running a contingency timetable to maintain essential services from today, Saturday, with electric trams to be used for school runs. 

This organisation adds there won't be dedicated school buses because of a lack of drivers. 

These 10 days of industrial action come after talks between Bus Vannin and the union failed to reach an agreement earlier this week. 

The bus service says it expects significant disruption, and is appealing to the public to be respectful to all drivers - both those working and ones on the picket line at Banks Circus in Douglas. 

You can see the contingency bus timetables here.

Meanwhile, Manx Care is saying people says with upcoming medical appointments should make alternative arrangements if they were planning on travelling by bus.

The 21H route to the hospital will be prioritised and run on a limited, hourly service, while Bus Vannin Patient Transport Service's is also to run as normal, according to Bus Vannin. 

 

More from Isle of Man News

Recently Played

Listen Live Listen