On Air Now Jason Quinn 10:00am - 1:00pm Email
Now Playing Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now Starship Download

'Serious concerns' raised by MPs after rape allegations on Married At First Sight UK

MPs have written to Channel 4 and Ofcom with "serious concerns" about their response to the allegations of rape and sexual assault on Married At First Sight UK.

MPs on the Culture, Media and Sport (CMS) Committee wrote to the organisations after two women alleged they had been raped and another made claims of sexual misconduct to BBC's Panorama programme.

All three said the Channel 4 show, made by production company CPL, did not do enough to protect them.

Dame Caroline Dinenage, chair of the Culture, Media and Sport (CMS) Committee, has questioned whether "enough is being done" to "protect people taking part in reality television".

Dame Caroline said: "The horrifying allegations about Married At First Sight raise serious concerns over whether enough is being done to protect people taking part in reality television.

"Both Channel 4 and Ofcom, as the broadcasting regulator, have urgent questions to answer."

The letter to Channel 4 also asks about its complaints process for contestants on the programme and the steps taken to ensure the allegations were fully investigated, along with the review announced by the broadcaster.

On Tuesday, the Metropolitan Police urged potential victims of sexual assault on the reality TV show to get in touch.

Channel 4 said in a statement released on Monday: "In April, Channel 4 was presented with serious allegations of wrongdoing against a small number of past contributors, allegations that we understand those contributors have denied."

"Related to those allegations, Channel 4 was asked to respond to claims of failures in welfare protocols. Channel 4 believes that when concerns related to contributor welfare were raised through existing welfare and production protocols, prompt and appropriate action was taken, based on the information available at the time.

"Channel 4 strongly refutes any claim to the contrary."

The broadcaster said it had removed all previous seasons of MAFS UK from its streaming platforms.

The move follows an external review, commissioned by the broadcaster in April, into the welfare of participants on the programme.

The government has said all the allegations must be investigated and that "there are consequences for criminality or wrongdoing".

Shona Manderson - the third of the three women making allegations about their time on the Channel 4 show, and the only one who is named - said she "completely lost her light" while appearing in the series.

The show sees single people matched by experts and then "marry", with couples meeting for the first time on their wedding day.

The "marriages" on the show are not legally binding but the couples go on a "honeymoon" and move in together after their weddings.

Ms Manderson's on-screen partner Bradley Skelly told the BBC's Panorama he categorically denies "any allegations of sexual misconduct, or that he was controlling".

Sky News

(c) Sky News 2026: 'Serious concerns' raised by MPs after rape allegations on Married At First Sight UK

More from UK News

Recently Played

Listen Live Listen