On Air Now Club Classics 7:00pm - 2:00am Email
Now Playing Last Friday Night Katy Perry Download

Charles Bronson: Britain's 'most notorious prisoner' pledges to 'expose unlawful sentence' ahead of parole hearing

Saturday, 21 February 2026 19:29

By Rebecca Spencer, specialist producer

The Parole Board has confirmed Charles Bronson's latest bid for release will progress to an oral hearing in the coming months, where he could be invited to make his plea for freedom.

The decision is a hopeful development for one of Britain's longest-serving and most notorious prisoners, and means a fuller examination of his eligibility for release will now take place.

Bronson, 73, has spent more than five decades in custody. He was first jailed in 1974 for armed robbery.

Repeated violence and hostage-taking then resulted in his sentence being increased to life.

But after 12 years without a violent conviction, this is now his ninth attempt to seek parole.

In a letter to Sky News, Bronson wrote: "I am 23 years over my tariff. I am forever denied progress. I am forever kept in solitary. They won't even take me off Cat A."

He went on: "I have to expose this unlawful sentence and treatment. It's now gone on for far to long [sic] its become a total joke."

His most recent review had been under consideration "on the papers", where written evidence is assessed by the parole board, including reports from prison officials, psychologists and probation staff.

However, the board has this week concluded that the case should progress to an oral hearing, where evidence can be tested in person and witnesses questioned directly. The hearing will allow the parole board to assess Bronson's current level of risk in greater depth, before deciding whether he can be safely released into the community.

The parole board could also decide that the best course of action is to move Bronson to an open prison and onto a normal wing with other prisoners to see how he fares. Bronson has been in solitary confinement 23 hours a day for 37 years on and off.

Read more from Sky News:
Grey's Anatomy star dies aged 53

Man jailed after starving dogs to death

Gurdeep Singh, a solicitor acting for Bronson - also known as Charles Salvador - said the move was an important step.

"Mr Salvador is delighted with the fact he has been progressed to a full hearing but he is under no illusions; this is just the start of the fight for his release," he said.

"He wants to show the world he is not the person he was, he hopes to convince the panel that he is a changed man intent on living a simple life in the outside world. He has high hopes he can see his 95-year-old mother this year."

Bronson is expected to be invited to attend the hearing in person, giving him the opportunity to address the panel directly and respond to concerns about his behaviour and future plans if he were to be released.

The parole board granted Bronson a public oral hearing in 2023, where he said: "It's no secret I have had more porridge than Goldilocks and the Three Bears, and I'm sick of it. I've had enough of it. I want to go home."

He had applied for this year's parole proceedings to be heard in public, a request we understand was rejected. But with the case now moving to an oral stage, he could seek to renew that request.

No date has yet been set for the hearing.

Sky News

(c) Sky News 2026: Charles Bronson: Britain's 'most notorious prisoner' pledges to 'expose unlawful sentence' ahead of parole hearing

More from UK News

Recently Played

Listen Live Listen